Smart devices have changed a lot for the average American household. Entering the domestic market, smart devices are available at affordable prices for you to change things up in your home. They are great for an easy way into home automation, a good alternative for home security measures, and their technology supports energy efficiency.
Smart thermostats are a great example of smart devices that not only automate your home’s heating and cooling systems, but also save energy and cut back on your utility bills in the process. They are much better, and much smarter than a regular thermostat.
Basic Features of a Smart Thermostat
There are many different brands of smart thermostats available, the best ones being the Google Nest Thermostat collection and then there is also the Honeywell Wi-Fi smart color thermostat. Here are some common features that you would find in any smart thermostat.
1. Remote Access
Smart thermostats can be controlled remotely, wirelessly and with voice command too. Every smart device features its own mobile app that can be downloaded onto smartphones, laptops and tablets, and can allow for them to sync with any smart speakers around the house as well. Similarly smart thermostats include their own mobile apps through which you can adjust the temperatures, set auto-timers for them to function accordingly, and switch them on or off from practically wherever you are. That is the beauty of these devices, that they can be accessed whether you’re in the house, at work or on vacation.
2. Energy Saving
Smart thermostats may have been designed to allow for home automation but what they also do in the process is save energy from unnecessary wastage. Considering these devices can be controlled via smartphones and mobile apps, this ensures that if you forgot to turn off the thermostat in rush to leave for work in the morning, you don’t have to go back home – pick up your smartphone and turn down the thermostat. Easy! These devices also include a technology of their own, that by using phone location tracking and motion sensors, they can automatically turn themselves down when no one’s around, or switch to an eco-friendly mode to cut back on the energy usage.
How to Install a Smart Thermostat
For those that love to indulge in some housework, and that means being equipped to deal with fixing things around the house, installing a smart thermostat would be a fun and easy task for you. Smart thermostats in general are quite easy to install; DIY style if you will. However considering there is electrical wiring involved, you must take caution, or better yet call in a professional to do the job if you would not want to personally take the risk. After all, you wouldn’t want to hurt yourself or have something go wrong with a device you paid quite a bit for, right?
Here is a step-by-step breakdown of how to install a smart thermostat.
- The first and the most crucial step is to turn off the electrical supply from the main circuit breaker, to the outlet where the smart thermostat will be installed – or where you will replace the old thermostat with the new one.
- Once the power to the outlet is shut off, remove the old thermostat by twisting it clockwise/anticlockwise as directed to pull it off its mounting plate.
- When the device is off of its mounting plate, unplug the wiring from the device.
- After unplugging the wires from the thermostat, it is time to remove the mounting plate in order to place the new one in.
- Position the mounting plate of your new smart thermostat over the outlet to mark the points it has to be fixed into the wall with.
- When the new mounting plate has been fixed over the outlet, gently pull the wires through the plate opening.
- Attach the wires to the ports at the back of the smart thermostat.
- Place the device into its mounting plate. You may have to slightly push the device in for it to fix onto the mounting plate.
- Turn the power back on to the outlet where the smart thermostat has been installed.
- Configure your device from its mobile app, and there you have it – your smart thermostat has successfully been installed!